Personal and Property Safety
There are positive things you can do to reduce the risk of becoming a victim of personal or property crimes. The following are some suggestions:
- Make sure your room/office doors are locked at night or when unattended
- Mark all valuable personal belongings
- Fill out a Property Idenfication Form and keep it in a safe place
- Your personal property should be insured against theft or casualty loss
- Do not prop open exterior doors for convenience of access – it can compromise the safety of other occupants within the building
- Walk and jog with friends if you choose to exercise in the early morning hours or after dark
- Heed your instincts and don’t take unnecessary risks
- Report all suspicious circumstances or persons to Campus Public Safety or the police
- Report all crimes, no matter how minor or insignificant
- If you have been victimized, call us! If we’re not able to help, we can refer you to the people who can.
- Register your bicycles with Ashland Police Department through Campus Public Safety
Security of Buildings, Offices and Classrooms
Except for specially scheduled events, academic (classroom) buildings and offices are locked and closed to the public during holidays, weekends, and after hours. These buildings are routinely patrolled by public safety officers.
Only the staff and occupants of such offices are permitted to enter academic facilities after hours; such persons must carry identification or be readily identifiable to CPS officers. Special activities and after-hour entry into academic buildings by students or non-occupants must be preapproved by the respective building manager.
To request an unlock, call (541) 552-6911 and have identification ready to show the Campus Public Safety Officer.
Lost or mislaid keys must be reported to the issuing department as soon as possible. Keys that are stolen or missing under suspicious circumstances must be immediately reported to the Campus Public Safety Office so that the circumstances can be investigated.
Keys turned into Campus Public Safety are turned over to one of two locations. Firstly, key rings with SOU keys on them are turned over to the SOU Lock Shop. Secondly, key rings without any SOU keys on them are turned over to the Stevenson Union Lost and Found. Below are links for more information.